Sunday, June 17, 2012

confessions of a brand new mom

Before Peyton was born, I had my ideas of what life as a mom would be like.  I made rules that I would follow.  Needless to say, being a mom is something that can't really be planned.  You just have to go into it open minded. Knowing what you are getting into is good, but over analyzing could be bad.  There are so many "do's and don't's" that people will tell you and they change depending on who you are talking to.  I have decided to just go with the flow.  Peyton, pretty much, makes all the rules.  Well, not really, but I don't try and get her to follow a schedule.  She eats when she is hungry and sleeps when she is tired, not when I tell her to.  I think it works better that way, but to each their own. 

Any how, after almost 3 months I think I am finally getting the hang of things (probably just in time for everything to change again...).  

Here are some of my "confessions":
  • I am terrified of her getting "flat head" from spending all day running errands with me. (Yes, I do know that ONE day spent in and out of the car seat will NOT give her flat head.)
  • SIDS is my absolute biggest fear.
  • I said throughout my entire pregnancy that at ONE month, she would be moved from my room to her room to sleep in her crib... Well... She still is in my room.  She loves her Rock N Play!  And breast feeding, I love having her closer for middle of the night feedings. Hopefully she will sleep through the night soon so I can transition her to her crib.  
  • I do not believe you can spoil a newborn.  I love just holding her and spending mornings snuggling on the couch.
  • I have come to accept that my hips quite possibly may never go back to where they were.  I will miss my pre-pregnancy jeans dearly, but no "skinny jeans" I own could ever make me happier than Peyton makes me.
  • She will not take a bottle.  I keep saying I am going to try harder to get her to take it... But, it is hard.  When she is hungry she wants to eat NOW... The idea of spending time warming a bottle while she cries when I could just feed her right then seems silly.  And, I love that bonding time with her.  However, I would LOVE to have a date night with Paul... and to do that she needs to take the bottle.  Maybe I will try again tomorrow.
  • I rarely get out of my pajamas/workout clothes before noon.  If I actually get to shower, blow dry my hair, AND put make up on... Well, it is a VERY successful day!
  • Having her as a tiny little baby makes me never want her to grow up... But at the same time I can NOT wait for her to get bigger.  DISNEYLAND!!!!
  • Being a mom is harder and easier than I expected it to be.  
Getting to stay home everyday with my Sweet Pea is the biggest gift ever.  Also the biggest life adjustment ever.  I had been working for the last 11 years.  Not having a job is still surreal.  Being a mom IS my new job... Best job ever, with the cutest boss ever too. Really, how can you not love this face?!

No comments:

Post a Comment